Wednesday, May 31, 2017

How to Regain Your Motivation | Ellen Bourne


Every now and then I find myself in a slump, a rut, not getting out of bed and watching three seasons of the Girls Next Door in two day straight. This attitude usually rises from underneath the covers of my bed around the same time Jack Frost comes a-knocking and the calendar flips over to May.

1. Make your things nice:

Let's start with some really basic self-love style stuff. When I was in the midst of an 'oh god it's now winter' slump the other day I did my laundry, made my bed, and took care of my most-hated chore - vacuuming. I cleaned up my desk and turned on the fairy lights in my bedroom, then I sat down, took a bunch of photos for my blog and Instagram, and worked on editing my book and a script for a new Youtube video. Having a fresh-feeling bedroom and a clear work-space (not to mention fresh socks!) really does help if you're in a bit of a slump.

2. Eat Well:

My 'slump' has lasted about a month. After I quit my last job and decided to remove myself from the rat race I spent a lot of time at home, working on articles and ordering takeout. I stopped working out and moved house during that time too. This week I've gone back to cooking my own healthy meal preps and doing proper grocery shops and my motivation has skyrocketed, while my cravings for sweets have depleted (and been replaced by cravings for lentil stews).

3. Write it out:

Free writing is a really great practice for problem-solving, especially if the problem is somewhat subconscious. If you're not into free-writing, try making a list of your current goals to re-asses your plans to get there. If you don't know what those goals are, refer back to free-writing. You'll be amazed at what comes out.

4. Start a single task:

After doing my laundry and cleaning my room I opened up a few of the projects I was working on on my computer. I may have only edited a paragraph of my manuscript, but then I wrote two blog posts, created a bunch of content, and got the ideas for my next two Youtube videos. I felt passionate about all my projects again. One of my favourite quotes comes from Picasso: 'Inspiration will come, but it has to find you working.'

5. Change your surroundings:

Working from home I sometimes find it hard to leave the house. I'm quite susceptible to anxiety and depression. When I leave my house with my laptop or notebook and head out to work I find that I create more, and often better things. I place myself in a working headspace. Also, leaving the house means dressing up a bit more, getting a coffee and a taking a brisk walk before sitting down at a cafe and starting the one task that might get the rest of the  ball rolling.

Xo,

Ellen