Wednesday, May 24, 2017

How to Create Gallery Walls in a Rental | Ellen Bourne

source

I've been renting homes since the age of eighteen when I first moved out from under my parents roof and blue-tacked Pulp Fiction posters and fairy lights to the underside of my university bunk bed. After this I lived in a house literally covered in fairy lights and the psychedelic art of my housemates and I. Since then my taste has improved, as has my respect for leaving my landlords walls as white as they were when I arrived and handed over my damage deposit. Here are my top five tips for warming up and personalising your rental with a gallery wall or sprigs of greenery, because staring at dried paint is boring!

1. Hanging beams/ledges:

If you'e lucky enough to have a hanging beam in your bedroom or throughout your whole apartment personalising your space becomes a whole lot simpler. Hanging beams are one of the easiest ways to hang lamps, plants, floating shelves and whatever frames you desire. All you need are some metal hooks that can sit over the beam, and picture wire to attach to your frames. The great thing about these beams is that they're sturdy, effortless and leave no marks.

2. The right adhesive hooks:

These days adhesive hooks have come a long way. Good brands can hold a couple of hundred grams and the glue used for the backing typically doesn't damage paint. Use these to hang small frames in areas unencumbered by little hands, or paws, to avoid accidents.

3. Plants:

source
Plants can be hung from so many places, tucked between bookshelf items, used to dress up clothes racks, hung from roof beams like great natural chandeliers. Depending on the look you're after you can add them to floating shelves, or buy flat-backed pots and use strong hooks to attach them to the walls.

4. Floating shelves:

source
This is one of the easiest ways to create a gallery wall, as the entire gallery can be captured in one half, thus minimising the amount of holes put in the chosen wall. Be sure to talk to your landlord to get the 'ok' before going ahead with the stud finder and drills! Check out this article to see what supplies you will need to install a floating shelf.

5. Bookcases:

source


If your landlord is absolutely no-go regarding holes in the walls, never fear! Bookshelf styling is an art itself these days. The trick is to go layer-by-layer and make sure to include depth and variety regarding the knick-knacks, plants and pictures you have on display. Personally I prefer open, industrial-style bookshelves for this task.

Xo,

Ellen