Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The Skincare Edit | Ellen Bourne




As the seasons change, so does my skincare routine. I tend to splurge on skincare because let's be honest this is the only face any of us will ever have and the skin is an organ that is constantly being exposed to the sun and weather and protecting our precious minds and bodies. Here;s my latest breakdown on the products that I've been loving and loathing, what's been breaking me out and what I've been adding to the list of gods little miracles.

Loving:

1. McCarthur Natural Products Foaming Cleanser:

 With zero petrochemicals and a focus on paw paw and fruit extracts and citric acid as the nasty-fighting hard workers this is the only foaming cleanser I have ever loved, possibly the only one I will ever love. I used to use the cream cleanser by the same brand but I found it didn't do as much for blackheads as this one. Within a week of using this foaming cleanser I found that my skin appeared more balanced. I.e - the oily parts were drier, and the dry parts were not as dry.

2. Blackmores Natural Vitamin E Cream:

This is such a classic beauty product I'm not sure why it's not raved about more in the beauty blogging community. Much like Karen from Mean Girls every one just forgets about poor old Vitamin E Cream. I started using this Blackmore version about a month ago as a moisturiser and my skin has thanked me so much. It contains naturally-sourced Vitamin E, Avocado Oil, Apricot Kernal Oil and Vitamin A. I find that it softens my skin, smooths and reduces pores and performs extremely well that old Vitamin E standard of reducing scarring and healing wounds. In a world full of $150+ miracle products this baby is only $6.00AUD and stands out among the best of them.

3. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo:

I always come back to this as a spot treatment. The La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo contains the brands own patented version of ceramide, a natural lipid that helps create a healthier, more plump surface level of skin and repair damage while also adding moisture. The ceramide La Roche Posay's Effaclar duo boasts helps reduce the red and brown marks that can appear due to acne scarring. I also find that it shrinks spots in less than 24 hours.

4. Touch in Sol Au Feel Like Honey Moon Skin Base:

This product is new to me. It contains both honey and collagen and comes from Korean skincare and make-up brand Touch in Sol Au. I'm still not sure if this is a primer or a serum, but it seems to boost, brightne and hydrate my skin without breaking me out so at the moment I'm actually using it as a serum. It smells like honey and contains little gold flecks that don't really do anything but look pretty in the bottle. I'd give it a try to be honest, I really found that it plumped up the appearance of my skin and helped evenly heal blemishes.

5. Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask:

This mas is a godsend. It contains activated charcoal, white china clay and Lecithin. All these ingredients combined create an intense at-home mask experience that is nearly as good as the $60.00AUD facials I have administered. For $44.00AUD you get a fairly affordable product that actually works wonders. After using this twice (and going without make-up for about a weeks) I noticed that even my enlarged pores looked significantly more clean. This tingles and zings when applied, and continues to tingle even once washed off. I love it. It basically flays dirt from the skin. This may be my ultimate favourite beauty product.

Loathing:

1. Pure Potions Hydrating Pure Plant Serum:

I'm a sucker for all natural products and scents because I love them. I doubly love them if they are made in Australia and contain any native Australian plants because we have some very cool medicinal natives. However, I did not love this serum. The reason I did not love this isn't because it's an awful product, it's fine and I certainly noticed an improvement in my skins moisture level. No, what I didn't love was that this is actually made with (top-notch!) essential oils which are a no-go zone for a gal with sensitive skin. I probably should have anticipated this when I bought it, but the girl in store recommended it re: Sensitive skin and I should have known better. Try it out if you have slightly hardier skin than yours truly and let me know what you think. 

Cheers,

Ellen.